Hopefully you had a great first week of teaching!
This week’s news:
- Concerned about the teacher evaluation system under SB 191? Your association is bringing in Linda Barker to answer your pressing questions and provide some professional development (there will be a 4 hour PD certificate offered!). The flyer is attached, and the session is limited to 50 members, so sign up here.
- Your School Board Elections Committee is working hard to finalize their recommendations for this year’s critical school board race. We should have our pro public education candidates in place by the end of this week, and can begin campaigning shortly thereafter! Each building will have an “emergency meeting” for members sometime during the next week (if you haven’t already) to inform teachers of the political landscape and encourage everyone to volunteer in some capacity to help preserve public education. Campaigning need not be confrontational. The public trusts teachers (our polling says so!). In fact, they trust us so much oftentimes we don’t even need to explain why we support a particular school board candidate. All we need to do is post our picks for the school board race on our Facebook page, mail out a few postcards, and – if we choose to – take part in a morning of door knocking (followed by a huge BBQ – more to come on that!). Filling out a brief form is the first step in being a part of the democratic process in this year’s important school board race so we can be purposeful in our approach, which is key to winning! And we will win… J
- Remember that we are ratifying our bylaw changes at this week’s AR Council. Make sure you review the bylaw changes and give your AR feedback to inform their vote.
- Do you like TED Talks? Here are a few that are absolute “must views”!
- Each day seems to bring with it a new member enrollment sheet for the MVEA, which is fantastic! Just remember to sign your name at the bottom of the application as the recruiter so you receive the $10 “thank you” from your association colleagues for helping to grow our professional organization.
Here’s to a wonderful week!